The Assistant Camp Director is a key member of the leadership team. They live onsite and support the director in setting the tone and implementing the camp mission into action. This person oversees the day-to-day of summer camp, providing support to the leadership team, assisting the kitchen and the Director.
• Ideally completed a post-secondary diploma or degree or in progress (Education, EA, Social work, Outdoor Education
preferred) or coaching background
• Ideally a minimum of 2 years of Camp or Outdoor Ed experience, and at least 1 year as a Head Counsellor or
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively to effectively plan and organize the operations of the camp.
• Demonstrate positive leadership attributes, time management and organizational skills.
• Preferred: experience working with children and/or adults with physical, cognitive, or mental disabilities as well as
• Experience working with computers. Knowledge of Microsoft Programs including but not limited
Outlook/Excel/Publisher, as well as Google Drive is an asset.
• Able to complete a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Persons Search and obtain a clear Child Welfare Check.
• Have valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C Certificates, or willing to obtain.
• Preferred Alberta Class 2 Driver’s License, Recommended Alberta Class 4 driver’s license, or willing to obtain.
• Preferred: Adventure Course Challenge Technologies (ACCT) Level 2, Recommended ACCT Level 1, or willing to obtain
Human Resources: working with the Director
- Facilitate and develop a mission focused orientation and training week.
- Implement a culture of feedback, and peer culture.
- Support the kitchen team as needed
- Effectively manage any positive or negative feedback received during the camping season in a timely manner,
informing director of all issues
- Handles questions, problems, and concerns of parents/guardians before and during camp.
- Support the Program coordinators and the program leads in developing and facilitation of all programs in
alignment with Camp Tamarack values
- Manage and maintain a professional work-place environment that caters to the abilities of all
- Determine and organize weekly themes, schedules, trips and special guests
- Assist in planning and facilitating programs that are in alignment with Camp Tamarack values
- Maintain all records and oversee the use of the Adventure Course (Zip Lines, Giant Swing, Climbing
Wall, Low Ropes, and Initiative Elements).
- Always ensure all staff our following safety procedures and policies
- Ensure the cleanliness of the overall camp space (buildings, grounds).
- Provide opportunities for tours, Private Rentals, Outdoor Education, and potential Camp Families.
- Communicate any facility concerns (maintenance and repairs) to the Board or Director as they arise.
Salary: paid monthly, based on experience,
Housing: Available on site, private, furnished winterized log cabin.
Position: 4-month contract with possible extension
Start Date: April 24th, 2023. Ideally candidates will qualify for the Canada Summer Jobs