Pioneer Bible Camp
Hanmore Lake, Alberta
Pioneer Bible Camp
Founded in 1949, by John and Lucile Kushnerik, Pioneer Bible Camp (PBC) is set on a beautiful piece of property along Hanmore Lake in northern Alberta, approximately 120 km northeast of Edmonton. Our desire is to give children a place to develop and grow in their faith journey and, in many cases, to be introduced to Jesus Christ for the first time. PBC is a non-denominational camp where God’s Word is taught in different ways throughout the day. The property features 12 individual cabins, a chapel, a sports gymnasium, a beach with boating and swimming, an archery field, an industrial standard kitchen and a dining room with capacity for 110 campers and counsellors. Throughout the month of July we host 4 week-long children’s camps. During the rest of the summer season our camp is available for group rental.
This position reports to: Camp Director, program coordinator
This person works closely with: Other cabin leaders, camp nurse, program coordinator, camp director
This position supervises: Campers
Principal Responsibilities and Activities
• Responsible for team and cabin campers 24 hours a day while they are at camp. Care for the practical needs and safety of these groups. Know where these campers are at all times.
• Expected to be on time for the Sunday afternoon meeting with the Camp Director, greet campers and their parents as they arrive, and see off the campers when they depart Thursday/Friday evening.
• Make sure campers are on time for meals and scheduled activities. Sit with the campers during these times and follow appropriate guidelines. Take a headcount before these events, every time.
• Inform campers of the camp rules and regulations and what is expected of them. Help with discipline wherever needed. Be the leader of the group. Maintain calm control at all times. Concentrate on the source of a problem or misbehaviour, not just on the outward appearance.
• Be prepared to give a helping hand wherever required. Demonstrate a genuine concern for campers and any problems they may have. Involve all of the campers in cabin activities.
• Be neat and tidy. Practice cleanliness. Be on time. Be sure to get rest. Encourage campers to get adequate rest at night. Cabin Leaders are required to spend every night in their cabin with their campers.
• Cabin leaders should be aware of when to advise the Camp Director about problems.
• No physical punishment is to be used.
• Be cheerful and enthusiastic, cooperate with the Camp Director and other staff.
• All Cabin Leaders report to the Camp Director
Position Date: July 2023 – $250/week honorarium