Tim Hortons Foundation Camps help youth from underserved communities achieve their full potential through multi-year, overnight camp experiences. Whether at camp or back home in their communities between visits—our youth work to build social, emotional, leadership and innovation skills and behaviours like volunteerism and motivation to learn so they become civically and academically engaged, and successfully transition to adulthood.
At Tims Camps, we are catalysts for good—helping our youth participants and teammates be the best they can be, developing personal and career growth. We empower young people with skills to open doors to their future. That is our North Star and, together, we help shape leaders that build stronger communities.
We’re looking for a…
Camp Counsellors are responsible for creating an inclusive and supportive environment where campers can discover, use, and develop their skill sets. This is done through establishing positive relationships with campers based on respect, trust, and empathy. They provide continuous care of our campers and treat all aspects of camp (both in-camp and in the wilderness setting, if applicable) as facilitated moments.
This role will be based onsite at our Tim Horton Children’s Ranch location in Kananaskis, AB.
June 18, 2024 – August 19, 2024
What would you be doing?
- Establish relationships with youth, aged 11-17, that reflect respect, trust and empathy
- Exhibit a constant duty of care for our campers, and appropriately assess and respond to risks
- Be challenged physically and mentally as you live in an overnight camp for 10-day sessions, with 3 days of break in between
- Support the successful execution and delivery of intentional camp programs, connecting them to the program outcomes
- Encourage camper development at their own pace recognizing their achievements
- Respond appropriately when addressing challenging camper behaviours as they arise
- Model healthy choices and emotional maturity
- Supervise and participate in all assigned aspects of the campers’ day including morning activities, cabin clean-up, mealtimes, rest hour, evening activities, getting ready for bed, and after hours duties as assigned.
- Ensure camper wellness. This includes the physical, mental, and emotional health and safety of all participants.
- Use respectful, positive behaviour management techniques
- Contribute positively to the camp team and culture
Does this sound like you?
- At least 18 years old
- Experienced at working with youth aged 11 – 17
- Pursuing post-secondary education (might be required at some locations)
- Certified in Emergency First Aid + CPR (adult, child, infant) w/AED, or are willing to obtain
- Able to provide an acceptable criminal background check
- Ability to live on-site for an extended period of time and work flexible hours
Benefits of working with us
- Accommodation and meals are included for the duration of the contract
- Bonus when you refer employees
- Contract completion bonus
- Bonus for staff working on our French-speaking site
- Have a positive impact on the lives of young people
- Opportunity to build lasting friendships with other staff
To learn more about the impact of the experience you will take part in, watch this short video
Commitment to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Tim Hortons® Foundation Camps (THFC) is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment, and seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases.
If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.