Easter Seals Camp Horizon in Bragg Creek specializes in an accessible and inclusive summer camp experience for individuals with disabilities. We offer
programs such as white water rafting, rock climbing, camping, arts and crafts, leadership training and much, much, more!
Easter Seals fosters a work environment that is inclusive as well as diverse, where our people can be themselves. Every idea and perspective is valued to reflect the people we serve.
At Camp Horizon we have what are called “Element Programmers”; Earth, Air, Water, and Spark. Each Element Programmer is responsible for a different activity at camp. TheEarth Programmer is responsible for the adventure based outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, camping, archery, orienteering, and geocaching. The Earth Programmer will be responsible for planning and leading overnight backpacking trips with campers. This position will require exceptional communication skills, programming skills, organization, and the ability to assess risk.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Plan and deliver inclusive, creative, adventure based outdoor programming
- Continually ensuring the safety of all participants through proactive risk management and following industry guidelines for best practice
- Maintain all gear/equipment associated with your program
- Work closely with the Program Coordinator and kitchen staff to organize food for out trips
- Have familiarity with local camping and hiking areas and do preseason scouting
- Plan and implement training for staff to assist in facilitating Earth Programs
- Review logistics and risk management with Program Coordinator for all out trips
- Assist with set up/take down/cleaning of all programming and meals
- Assist counsellors with groups in dorms as needed.
- Complete necessary administrative tasks for Earth Programs
Your Skills and Experience
- Post-secondary education (complete or in progress) in outdoor education, outdoor leadership or equivalent.
- Experience working with individuals with various forms of disabilities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Extensive experience leading backcountry trips
- Excellent risk management skills
- Knowledge of Leave No Trace Principles
- Excellent group management techniques
- Wilderness First Aid 80hr is an asset
- Class 4 Alberta license
- Outdoor Counsel of Canada: Field Leader Hiking & Overnight Certificate or equivalent
- ACMG Hiking Guide Certification would be considered an asset
- Experience with bike maintenance considered an asset
- Contract dates: June 6th – August 20th 2022
- 5 days a week Monday-Friday. 10+hr days with the occasional weekend.
- Working outdoors each day in all kinds of weather
- Working with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and abilities
What We Can Offer You
- Lodging in shared staff cabins all summer in beautiful Kananaskis Country
- 3 healthy prepared meals each day
- Organized out trips for staff on weekends to places like Banff, Lake Louise, Calgary and more.
- An unforgettable experience working with an amazing team from around the world.
- Disability sensitivity training
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory completion of a police and vulnerable sector check
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses) or valid medical exemption
- Compliance with all Camp Horizons COVID-19 policies and procedures