Responsible for: Supporting the campers and supervising counselors working in those cabins.
- Responsible for supervising all counselors that live or work in assigned cabins. This supervision includes daily check-ins, informal positive and constructive feedback, support during difficult or emergency situations, and providing input and direction about strategies for working with specific children or the group as a whole. They also support the staff in developing and implementing fun, creative and engaging activities in each of their assigned cabins.
- Formal feedback will be done with all Cabin Counselors. This includes a formal check-in during orientation, one at the mid-point of the summer and one at the end of the summer. Head Counselors are responsible for filling out feedback forms for each staff member and providing information to the Directors about job performance and recommendation for rehire.
- Head Counselors facilitate the social growth of their campers through activities and during less structured times. In addition, they give the counselors who work directly with their campers the tools they need to successfully help our campers succeed at camp.
- Head Counselors are responsible for managing behavior of campers which may include de-escalation, parent follow-up, and creating behavior plans, when necessary.
- Participating in program, campfire, when time allows
- de-escalating issues with staff, volunteers and campers.
- Participating in over nights with campers and staff.
- Filling into positions when needed to cover lack of staff or breaks.
- Adhering to Covid protocols.
- Any additional duties as required.
- Must be 18 year of age or older.
- Management experience.
- 2-3 years experience in the Counsellor role
- Experience working with children in a camp setting preferred.
- Must be fully vaccinated.
- Must be able to provide a clear Criminal Record Check (with vulnerable sector search) and clear Child Intervention Check.
- Must have or be willing to get First Aid certification and Canoeing Certification.
- Must be outgoing, enthusiastic, hardworking and inclusive.
Additional skills: other certifications or previous experience leading crafts, outdoor education, canoeing, spiritual programs an asset.