To give every camper and staff an opportunity to experience a Christian community, where they are challenged to develop themselves spiritually, physically, and emotionally in a safe, nurturing, and fun outdoor environment.
HOURS: Seasonal Full Time (June 20-Aug 12) 18 yrs+
REPORTS TO: Program/Assistant Camp Coordinator
The Lifeguard/Counsellor is accountable to and supervised by the Program / Assistant Camp Coordinator.
The Lifeguard/Counsellor must coordinate and supervise camp participants in the water front activities as well as evening games and other recreational programs. The Lifeguard ensures participants comply with water safety regulations and maintenance and storage of water front equipment. Responsible for the care and supervision of up to ten campers in a community living environment. Will participant in the camping programs. Responsible for supervising any assigned Cabin or Outdoor Ed / Waterfront Apprentices and Leaders in Training (LIT’s).
- Required to be at least 18 years of age.
- Previous residential camping experience is an asset.
- Have experience working with and teaching a variety of age groups.
- Have the ability to originate, plan, organize and carry out the water front program.
- Be self-motivating and self-directing.
- Relate well to children, youth and adults.
- Follow specific instructions and safety standards
- Promote and follow the Leading with Care &Sexual Harassment Policies of the Presbyterian Church in Canada with staff and volunteers to ensure the safety of children, youth and vulnerable adults.
- Be willing to accept responsibility and work in a team environment
- Be adaptable and flexible as individual situations warrant.
- Be calm, organized and provide leadership in emergency or stressful situations.
- Canadian National Lifesaving Society (NL) and/or Red Cross Lifeguard Certification.
- Current Standard First Aid certificate with a minimum of CPRC (including AED).
- Flat water Canoe Instructor’s certificate from Paddle Alberta (or equivalent) would be an asset. Note: Camp Kannawin may offer this course as part of their yearly training.
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card (test available on line).
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Implement the water front activity schedule which will include instruction in water front safety and canoeing.
- Provide an overview to campers of water front rules.
- React to any violation of water front rules and report repeated infractions to the Camp Coordinator.
- Establish and follow specific instructions and safety standards for staff, campers and visitors.
- Supervise all KREW and campers participating in waterfront activities.
- Monitor the water front activity schedule and modify the schedule as required.
- Plan, organize and lead water front activities
- Welcome assigned campers, assist them with moving into their assigned cabin, and introduce them to their cabin mates.
- Assist campers by identifying and meeting their needs; problem solve
- Provide opportunities within the camp to ensure of a positive camp experience for fellow team members and guests
- Work cooperatively with the program team to ensure campers are safe, and arrive at scheduled activities on time;
- Assist with any programming instruction assigned by the Program/Assistant Camp Coordinator (This may include, but is not limited to Bible study, crafts, games, campfire, water front activities, and outdoor education activities).
- Mentor assigned Cabin Apprentices and Leaders in Training (LIT’s).
C. Christian Community
- Welcome campers, parents, volunteers and guests.
- Attend all required training sessions and KREW meetings.
- Act as a good ambassador for Camp Kannawin.
- Participate in all camp activities except during scheduled time off.
- Comply with camp rules.
- Ensure that all campers comply with camp rules and the Camp Coordinator is notified of any violation of rules.
- Participate in the end of week site cleaning.
- Assist the Outdoor Educator as requested
- Participate in the maintenance and cleanliness of common areas.
- Complete the self-assessment portion of the camp evaluation process.
- Assist the Camp Coordinator with other duties that may be assigned.