Established in 1965 Easter Seals Camp Horizon specializes in an accessible and inclusive summer camp experience for individuals with disabilities and medical conditions. We offer programs such as high ropes, rock climbing, camping, arts and crafts, leadership training and much, much, more! Easter Seals fosters a work environment that is inclusive as well as diverse, where our people can be themselves. Every idea and perspective is valued to reflect the people we serve.
Our campers are youth and adults with a variety of disabilities and medical conditions that requiring close attention and organization to meet their detailed medical needs. The Camp Nurse will play a vital role in ensuring the health and well-bring of campers in a fun and inclusive environment. The primary responsibilities will be to provide medical care, administer medications, and address the unique healthcare needs of our campers, fostering a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
This is a seasonal position during camp sessions. Contract dates are June 3, 2024 – August 23, 2024.
1. Healthcare Management:
• Conduct health assessments upon campers’ arrival and maintain accurate health records.
• Administer medications and treatments as prescribed by healthcare professionals.
• Monitor and manage campers with chronic conditions, allergies, and other health concerns.
• Collaborate with the camp director and medical staff to develop and implement health protocols.
2. First Aid and Emergency Response:
• Be on-call 24/7 during camp sessions to respond to medical emergencies.
• Provide immediate first aid and coordinate emergency medical services when necessary.
• Ensure that the camp is equipped with necessary medical supplies and emergency equipment.
3. Health Education:
• Educate campers, staff, and volunteers about health and safety practices.
• Conduct training sessions on topics such as medication administration and emergency response.
• Foster a supportive and inclusive environment for campers with disabilities.
• Communicate effectively with campers, parents/guardians, and staff regarding health concerns and updates.
• Collaborate with the camp director, program coordinators, and other staff to ensure seamless integration of healthcare into camp activities.
• Work closely with the camp’s multidisciplinary team, including counselors and activity leaders, to integrate healthcare plans into daily camp routines.
• Collaborate with external healthcare providers and agencies as needed.
Your Skills and Experience
• A Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
• Experience working with individuals with various forms of disabilities.
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced camp environment
• Compassion, patience, and a commitment to creating an inclusive camp experience for individuals with disabilities
• Contract work
• Onsite in Bragg Creek, AB.
• 5-6 days a week 8-12hr days
• Working outdoors each day in all kinds of weather
• Working with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and abilities
What We Can Offer You
• Lodging shared staff cabins all summer in beautiful Kananaskis Country
• Prepared meal each day while campers are onsite
Conditions of Employment
• Satisfactory completion of a police information and vulnerable sector check